Separate Maintenance

In Florida, there is no requirement that spouses be “legally separated” before filing for or obtaining a dissolution of marriage. The only requirement is that the marriage be “irretrievably broken.” What happens if neither party wishes to file a petition for dissolution of marriage?

Even if neither spouse has filed a petition for dissolution of marriage, one spouse may be required by court order to provide support to the other spouse or the parties’ children, if the recipient spouse seeks such relief.

Whether you are considering filing an action for separate maintenance, or “support unconnected with dissolution,” or whether your spouse is seeking to file such an action against you, the attorneys at Nicole L. Goetz, P.L. can provide legal assistance to meet your needs. If you would like more detailed information regarding your rights and obligations, please contact our office to schedule a confidential consultation with one of our attorneys at our office in Naples, Florida.

These are some of the areas in which we provide advice: